1. Description: Methylprednisolone is prescribed in dose pack thus is called medrol dose pack. Methylprednisolone is a potent anti-inflammatory steroid with greater anti-inflammatory than prednisolone and even less tendency than prednisolone to induce sodium and water retention.
2. Instruction for adminstration: When taking medrol dose pack, patient should be advised
3. Mechanism of action: Methylprednisolone is a corticosteroid which exerts anti-inflammatory effect with less tendency of sodium and water retention. This effect is very useful in patient with high blood pressure problem.
4. Dosage: (applied to dentistry)
Take 6 tablets (methylprednisolone 4mg tablet) the morning prior to your surgery, and 5 tablets the morning of your surgery with sips of water only prior to surgery. The morning after your surgery, take 4 tablets, and so on
5. Contraindication: the use of medrol dose pack is contraindicated in systemic fungal infection, and patient with known hypersensitivity allergic reaction to methylprednisolone.
6. Warnings: corticosteroid may mask some kind of infection and new infections may appear during their use. This happens due to decrease resistance and inability to localize infection when corticosteroid are used. These infection may be mild, but can be severe and at times fatal. Antibiotic should be prescribed concurrently when prescribing medrol dose pack.
8. Application in Dentistry: