1. Description: Dexamethasone is a synthetic adrenocortical steroid prescribed for the anti-inflammatory effect when used in dentistry.
2. Instruction for adminstration: When taking dexamethasone, patient should be advised
3. Mechanism of action: Dexamethasone is a adrenocortical steroid which exerts anti-inflammatory effect and almost completely lack the sodium-retaining property. This effect is very useful in patient with high blood pressure problem.
4. Dosage: (applied to dentistry)
Take 9mg dexamethasone the morning of your surgery, and 6 mg the next morning, then 3 mg in the third morning.
5. Contraindication: the use of medrol dose pack is contraindicated in systemic fungal infection, and patient with known hypersensitivity allergic reaction to dexamethasone.
6. Warnings: corticosteroid may mask some kind of infection and new infections may appear during their use. This happens due to decrease resistance and inability to localize infection when corticosteroid are used. These infection may be mild, but can be severe and at times fatal. Antibiotic should be prescribed concurrently when prescribing dexamethasone.
8. Application in Dentistry: